IPC 2013 : E05 : LOCKS; KEYS; WINDOW OR DOOR FITTINGS; SAFES.IPC2013 > E > E05[c] > LOCKS; KEYS; WINDOW OR DOOR FITTINGS; SAFES.
Notes[t] E01 - E06: BUILDING
- In this class, the following terms are used with the meanings indicated:
- "wing" is a general term for swingable, slidable, or otherwise movable doors or windows. This term also includes other movable structures such as drawers, lids of chests, car boots, or car bonnets, to which the operating, mounting, latching, or locking means covered by this class may be applied;
- "frame" means any member to which a wing may be held by a fastening device. It does not include a framework forming part of the wing, but it may be another wing;
- "lock" means primarily a device for releasing or securing any member, which requires a key or a permutation mechanism for release. In groups E05B 1/00 - E05B 9/00, E05B 13/00 - E05B 17/00, E05B 39/00 - E05B 47/00, E05B 51/00, E05B 53/00, E05B 63/00 and E05B 65/00 however, the term "lock" may include other fastening devices;
- "bolt" means a sliding, pivoted, or otherwise movable member such as is normally carried by a door to hold it shut by engagement with a keeper on the frame. It may be operated by hand directly or through mechanism or by a key; it may be a latch ( see below);
- "latch" means a bolt arranged to be moved to the releasing position against the force of a spring, or some other returning force, when a wing meets the frame on closing, so that it does not have to be operated by hand to secure the wing, but only to open it;
- "hasp" means a member hinged to the frame or wing so that it can be moved towards the face of the wing or frame and secured thereto, e.g. by a turn-button, by a padlock and staple.
E05B LOCKS; ACCESSORIES THEREFOR; HANDCUFFS.
E05C BOLTS OR FASTENING DEVICES FOR WINGS, SPECIALLY FOR DOORS OR WINDOWS (latching means for sideboard or tailgate structures for vehicles B62D 33/037; fastening devices for constructional or engineering elements E04, F16B; locks, fastening devices structurally or operatively combined or having significant cooperation with locks E05B; means for operating or controlling wing fasteners in conjunction with mechanisms for moving the wing E05F).
- In this subclass, only the movement essential for securing the wing is considered, e.g. a sliding bolt which is rotated on its axis to prevent its withdrawal is classified as having only a sliding movement.
- Attention is drawn to the definitions following the title of class E05 .
E05D HINGES OR OTHER SUSPENSION DEVICES FOR DOORS, WINDOWS, OR WINGS (pivotal connections in general F16C 11/00).
E05F DEVICES FOR MOVING WINGS INTO OPEN OR CLOSED POSITION; CHECKS FOR WINGS; WING FITTINGS NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR, CONCERNED WITH THE FUNCTIONING OF THE WING.
- In this subclass, the following terms are used with the meanings indicated:
- "closer" or "opener" includes devices for assisting wing-movement or for wing-counterbalancing.
E05G SAFES OR STRONG-ROOMS FOR VALUABLES; BANK PROTECTION DEVICES; SAFETY TRANSACTION PARTITIONS (alarm arrangements per se G08B).
- In this subclass, the following terms or expressions are used with the meanings indicated:
- "bank" is a building or portion of a building devoted to the safekeeping or exchange of valuables between the "bank" and its customers;
- "bank protection device" is a mechanism in or on a bank for protecting the valuables or repelling attacks by stealth or force.